Anger with your kinsmen

No one can fix on me what is ugly, nor can I be angry with my kinsman, nor hate him, For we are made for co-operation, like feet, like hands, like eyelids, like the rows of the upper and lower teeth. To act against one another then is contrary to nature.  Marcus Aurelius.  Meditations.  Book 2.

Note: Yesterday when I was reading about the evolution of Roman helmets, I noticed that the ridge above the brow of the Late Republican helmet is thought to have been introduced during the Civil War between Caesar and Pompey because it appeared not to be additional protection from a long Celtic blade struck overhand but more effective against the thrust of a gladius.



Image: Roman against Roman by Seán Ó’Brógáin courtesy of Osprey Publishing's title, Roman Legionary AD 69-161, 2013.


Comments