If you can convince me I act incorrectly

 If any man is able to convince me and show me that I do not think or act right, I will gladly change. For I seek the truth by which no man was ever injured. But he is injured who abides in his error and ignorance.  Marcus Aurelius.  Meditations.  Book 6.


Image: A Roman latrine courtesy of Michael J. Moore and Current Archaeology. For some weird reason when reading the above quote I thought about Vespasian and his urine tax! His son Titus was furious when Vespasian reinstituted Nero's "vectigal urinae" but could not convince him to change his mind.  Instead, Vespasian simply held a coin up to his nose and asked Titus if he thought it stunk.  When Titus said no, Vespasian simply replied "And yet it is derived from urine!"  So, the key to the above quote is "If you can convince me!"


Comments