Admire people for their wisdom not their fortune

Consider that the truest respect is shown you, not in the public demonstrations which are inspired by fear, but when people in the privacy of their homes speak with admiration of your wisdom rather than of your fortune. Isocrates. To Nicocles. Speech 2. Section 28.


Image: Romans battling Sassanid Persians in the 2nd century CE. Illustration by the late Angus McBride. Whenever there is a discussion of the size of someone's fortune I immediately think of Marcus Licinius Crassus so I searched for an image of his defeat at Carrhae. This image came up but when I translated the filename I discovered it was an illustration of the 2nd century CE not the first but I thought it was a very dynamic illustration. It is courtesy of the website The Lost Treasure Chest featuring the work of Angus McBride in their Historical Warrior Illustration Series Part XIV.

Comments