Be neither a friend of rogues or slanderer of good men

Do not get a name either as lavish or as churlish, as a friend of rogues, or as a slanderer of good men. Hesiod. Works and Days. Line 716.


Image: Augustus at the tomb of Alexander by Lionel Noel Royer. This painting by Royer came up in my search for images of Marc Antony who had a reputation for being lavish, churlish, and a friend of rogues. On first glance, it could have been Antony paying respects to the corpse of Caesar but when I found the description on Wikimedia Commons, I learned that it represents Octavian (Augustus) paying respects to the corpse of Alexander the Great. (The Egyptian servant and Egyptian motifs on the funeral bier should have tipped me off but I must not be fully awake yet) But, hey, Augustus was guilty of generating massive amounts of propaganda so I guess the part about slandering good men does apply to him, too.

Comments